Will Mold in My Home Make Me Sick?

Water damage and damp can cause mold to form in your home. It’s a common problem affecting properties across the country — but that doesn’t mean you should underestimate it.

Why? Because mold not only looks and smells unpleasant (to say the least), but it actually poses a real health risk to certain members of your household.

The Nasty Truth about Mold

Mold grows quickly, releasing spores into the air to procreate. This is where health problems start.

Anyone prone to mild allergic reactions to mold may face no greater effects than a runny nose or a rash, but those listed below could be at real risk from a mold formation in your home:

  • Those aged 65 years old or above
  • People with asthma (mold may trigger an attack)
  • Young children (toddlers and infants)
  • People with a weakened immune system (due to cancer, liver disease or HIV)
  • Those with chronic lung disease

Where Does Mold Form?

Mold can grow almost anywhere, but hotspots tend to be areas prone to moisture, such as your bathroom, kitchen, crawl spaces or laundry room.

If you notice even the slightest hint of a moldy odor, try to find the source — and have it taken care of fast.

Small amounts of mold are generally harmless, but moisture encourages growth. Leaving it to fade on its own could cause problems further down the line.

Preventing Mold in your Home

What can you do to reduce the risk of mold affecting your home and endangering your family?

Cleaning

Clean your home on a regular basis, even those spots you tend to leave.

That means getting into your crawl spaces and the corners of your bathroom, to ward off any potential fungus formation. It might not be pleasant venturing into your basement or other less-appealing parts of your home, but it’s worth it.

If you have mobility issues, professionals will take care of it for you.

Control humidity

Set up dehumidifiers throughout your home to reduce moisture in the air. Consider installing air-conditioning units too, if possible.

Ideally, aim to keep your indoor humidity lower than 60 percent. A hygrometer will measure your levels and help you maintain a healthy balance; these are widely available online and at local hardware retailers.

Take care of leaks ASAP

If you spot any leaks in your home, have them seen to immediately. A little tightening here and there could be enough to stay safe, but don’t just leave moisture to seep out — even though that drip may seem pretty innocuous, it will all build up over time.

Circulate air and heat

Keep doors open to help the air in your home circulate, and use fans in warm weather to enhance the effect.

If your kitchen is equipped with exhaust fans, use them whenever you’re cooking, cleaning with hot water or doing anything else that puts moisture in the air.

Call us on (415) 212-9559 now to learn more about our mold testing, mold remediation, black mold removal and more.